RI Beauty Insider: Holiday Gift Sets – A Perfect Gift for Her
Saturday, December 14, 2013
The omnipresent gift set may seem like an easy no-brainer present, but they can be expensive. Fortunately, the most unique ones are often found at lower price points and in whimsical and festive packaging created just for the holidays. Here’s our curated list of joyful possibilities:
- e.l.f. Essential Holiday Lip Gloss Cube has nine (count ‘em) glosses in modern cubism that will look so pretty under the tree. $10.00
- Sephora Collection Party Starter Brush Set is a limited edition glittering assortment makeup brushes in a sparkly case. Get the party started. $16
- Simple Pleasures Peppermint Swirl Organza Tote Set comes with bath bubbles, crystals, gel, and body butter with adorable snowman wrappings. Cute relaxation in a tote. $20.00
- Estée Lauder Beautiful Luxury Soap Set has the sweetest sprinkling of snowflakes on a set of four soap bars. Enchant your recipient with the scent of the 1,000 flowers that goes into this iconic fragrance. $25.00
- Lancome Miss Mistletoe Lip & Nail Trio comes in colors that will make you mistletoe-ready in every way. Macy’s, $32
- Philosophy Pure Grace Layering Gift Set is brimming with perfume, body treatments, and shampoo. The cult fragrance may just be her dream gift this year. Ulta, $55.00
These gift sets are only your starting point. Keep your eye out for unique and merrily parceled offerings wherever your shopping takes you this season. Your thoughtful and festive present will be in keeping with the exuberant spirit of the holidays and will last well into spring and summer - much longer than that bouquet of flowers!
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Shopping on the Cheap
Second Time Around
Second Time Around, a premier consignment company located on Thayer Street, offers the hottest labels for resale. Selling men’s and women’s clothing and accessories, this vintage shop has so much to offer, including a high-end section where you can find top-brands for less and in great condition. Customers can even consign some of their own clothes through appointment or drop off to make some extra cash.
Monday-Saturday 10am-8pm, Sunday 11am-7pm. 294 Thayer Street. 401-455-2050.
Foreign Affair Warehouse
A one-stop vintage shop, Foreign Affair has you covered from 50s cocktail dresses to 80s frocks. Carrying clothes from the Victorian era and one-of-a-kind vintage items, you never know what you are going to find.
Monday-Saturday 11am-8pm, Sunday 12pm-6pm. 140 Brook St. 401-274-1484.
Photo: Steve Snodgrass/Flickr
Who doesn’t want to help their community while shopping? Well, through the Salvation Army you can do just that; by supporting them you support their efforts, from disaster relief to family tracing, worldwide. Search through their various items and find your hidden treasure, you won’t be disappointed.
Monday-Friday 10am-8pm, Saturday 9am-6pm. 201 Pitman Street, Providence. 401-421-5270.
A thrift store that allows you to help others while you shop, Savers offers clothing, shoes and accessories for great prices. Thousands of items are donated daily so you will never have the same shopping experience twice. The best part: your purchase will help Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Ocean State.
Monday-Saturday 9am-9pm, Sunday 10am-7pm. 201 Branch Ave, Providence. 401-273-1085.
A store that offers clothes, accessories, and shoes in one convenient place, Marshalls is the perfect place to shop, especially for Bryant students. Marshalls offers many different brands, so you can get those designer items without paying designer prices.
Monday-Saturday 9:30am-9:30pm, Sunday 10am-8pm. 622 George Washington Highway #303. 401-334-3262.
Nothing makes a shopper happier than great deals. TJ Maxx is the perfect place to build your wardrobe with designer pieces for less so you don’t feel guilty buying that BEBE purse. Feeling lazy? You can even shop online.
Monday-Saturday 9am-9:30pm, Sunday 9am-8pm. 199 O’Connell Highway at the Newport Mall. 401-841-5910.
The Big Top Flea Market
Hopefully you have plenty of time to shop, because you can spend hours at The Big Top Flea Market searching through their 50,000 sq. ft. of bargains. With over 200 vendors, you can find everything from cheap clothes, accessories, perfumes, hats, gloves and purses. Also check out their shoe warehouse which offers women’s heels, sandals, and boots as well as men shoes on the cheap. The prices are great, but you can try to get them down even further with some bargaining. Admission is free on Saturdays and .50 cents on Sundays.
Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm. 120 Manton Ave, Providence. 401-274-0060.
- RI Beauty Boutique Find: Beauty + The Bath
- RI Beauty Insider: Eight Easy Ways to Look Great Tonight
- RI Beauty Insider: Staying Beautiful With Honey
- 10 Beauty Buys Under $10
- 10 Beauty Musts For Busy Moms