Award-Winners Headline 2013 RI Festival of Children’s Books + Authors
Thursday, September 19, 2013
Through a new collaboration with the Central Falls Library, a Book Festival author will host a children’s event at the Central Falls Library. In addition, Lincoln School students will organize a used book drive for the library. The goals are to introduce children to the library who have never been there before, and to collect as many books as possible for the Central Falls community.
All-star guest list
Excitement is already building in the local community and beyond as Providence anticipates welcoming this year’s impressive roster of writers, including: Newbery Award winners Avi and Sharon Creech, who have written over 60 books for young children, Adam Gidwitz, Daniel Handler, author of the widely popular Lemony Snicket series, Jarrett Krosoczka, author of the Lunch Lady series, Over and Under the Snow author Kate Messner, Bill Harley, Kimberly Newton Fusco, Laurie Keller, Gregory Mone, Rhode Island Children’s Book Award winner Dan Santat, and Rhode Island’s own Chris Van Allsburg, world-renowned author and illustrator of The Polar Express. Authors give talks throughout the day, sign their books and enjoy spending time with their fans, old and new.
Young readers and their parents will have the chance to meet and talk with the authors, have their books personally signed, participate in bookmaking and other crafts, and view a special performance. The Festival—to be held on Saturday, October 19, from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm at Lincoln School, 301 Butler Avenue, in Providence—celebrates the unique joy that can only be found by opening the pages of a book.
“This event brings literature to life not only for our students, but for students across Rhode Island and neighboring Massachusetts—we’ve even had people come from as far as New Jersey to take part in the day,” says Meagan Lenihan, Lower School Librarian at Lincoln School. “Our goal is to inspire a love of reading and books that will last a lifetime.”
Admission is $5. For a full listing of performances and activities, visit www.lincolnschool.org or call the school at 401-331-9696, extension 3135.
- Don’t Miss: RI Festival of Children’s Books & Authors Oct. 13
- Family Matters: 21 Books for Getting Back to School
- Family Matters: Fall Books for Kids + Projects
- Gift Guide 2012: RI Bookstores Pick Best Gift Books
- Well-Read: Festival of Children’s Books & Authors Preview
- New Books For Early Readers
- Romance Novelist Donates 16 RI-Based Books To Local Libraries
- Top 20 Books For Summer Reading
- United Way Collects 13,000+ Books for Local Kids
- Well-Read: 10 Great Books for Summer Reading
- Well-Read: 5 Books for Your Fall Reading List
- Well-Read: 5 Great Books for “Young Adult” Readers
- Well-Read: 5 Great Books for Dog Lovers
- Well-Read: 5 New Cookbooks to Love
- Well-Read: 6 New Titles that Independent Booksellers Love
- Well-Read: 7 Hot Books for Summer
- Well-Read: 8 New Books for the Beach
- Well-Read: Best Books of 2011
- Well-Read: Great Books to Give This Year
- Well-Read: Robins’ Favorite Books + More
- Well-Read: The Last 5 Books I’ve Loved