NEW: Taveras Calls on Raimondo to Have Enron Exec $100K Returned
Monday, February 03, 2014
Taveras’ campaign is asking General Treasurer Raimondo to "stay true to her pledge to hold Wall Street accountable" and direct the pro-Raimondo Super PAC American LeadHERship run by Kate Coyne-McCoy to give back the $100,000 it received from Arnold and his wife.
“If Treasurer Raimondo is serious about keeping Wall Street and other national special interest groups and their money out of the Governor’s race, then she’ll call on Kate Coyne-McCoy to return Arnolds' $100,000 Super PAC donation,” said spokesman Danny Kedem
According to the Taveras campaign, Arnold is a Texas hedge fund billionaire who has funded EngageRI with at least $100,000, gave $8,000 to the Treasurer’s campaign, and another $100,000 to the Super PAC American LeadHERship.
“Clearly the Arnold family is looking for as many ways as possible to support the Treasurer’s pension reform agenda,” said Kedem. “Rhode Island doesn’t need a Texas hedge fund billionaire to try to buy this election."
The Taveras campaign says "Arnold is just one of several Wall Street connections who have contributed to EngageRI, the Treasurer’s campaign, and the pro-Raimondo Super PAC. When contributors from Wall Street give to the Treasurer, it appears that the pro-Raimondo Super PAC hasn’t been too far behind soliciting their help too.”
In January, Taveras was the first candidate to sign a pledge to end third party spending.
Win-Loss Records for 2014 Gubernatorial Candidates’ Campaign Managers
Oftentimes operating largely behind the scenes, a candidate's campaign manager or consultant plays an instrumental role in the outcome of the race.
The 2014 Rhode Island Gubernatorial candidates have assembled their campaign teams -- and managers, all of whom bring extensive political operative experience to the table.
Below is a look at the "batting average" of past efforts of the current set of top operatives when they were at the helm of other political races.
Eric Hyers - Campaign Manager, Gina Raimondo
Congressman David Cicilline's 2010 Campaign: WON
Congressman David Cicilline's 2012 Campaign: WON
NJ State Senator Nia Gill's 2013 Campaign: WON
MA State Sen. Karen Spilka 2013 Congressional Campaign: LOST
Winning Percentage: .750
Hyers, who cut his teeth organizing for for now-Senator Kirsten Gillibrand when she first ran for Congress in 2006, worked as a field organizer for John Edwards for President in the 2008 Iowa caucuses, directed a statewide field operation in Wyoming, managed state legislative races in Virginia and New Jersey, and served as the Executive Director of the Connecticut Democratic Party.
Hyers scored big while managing campaigns in New Jersey and Rhode Island, but came up short most recently in Massachusetts.
Danny Kedem - Campaign Manager, Angel Taveras
Anthony Wiener's 2013 New York Mayoral Campaign: QUIT
New Haven Mayor John DeStefano's 2011 Campaign: WON
Winning Percentage: .500
Kedem joined Wiener's political comeback bid after Weiner had resigned from Congress in a sexting scandal -- only to leave when Wiener once more was caught continuing the habit, spelling his downfall once again.
Connecticut Magazine's Jennifer Swift delineated Kedem's campaign history as having successful managed a New Haven mayoral bid, as well as outlining Kedem's early days organizing for Missouri Democrat Claire McCaskill’s U.S. Senate campaign and Hillary Clinton's 2008 run for the presidency.
Jeff Britt -- Campaign Consultant, Ken Block
2002 Bruce Bayuk RI General Assembly Write-In Campaign: LOST
2006 RI Governor Donald Carcieri Campaign: WON
2012 Mark Binder RI General Assembly Campaign: LOST
Winning Percentage: .333
Seasoned political operative Britt lost close races in Bayuk and Binder, but scored big with Carcieri while working alongside Ken McKay. Following the Bayuk effort, Britt served in the "Carcieri 1" administration to work across the aisle and support GOP efforts statewide.
Patrick Sweeney -- Campaign Consultant, Allan Fung
2010 John Loughlin Congressional Campaign: LOST
2012 Barry Hinckley Senate Campaign: LOST
Winning Percentage: .000
The former Executive Director of the Rhode Island Republican Party has extensive campaign and consulting experience, but is still looking to win big spearheading a major candidate effort.
Sweeney was Deputy Campaign Manager for Loughlin in 2010.
Devin Driscoll -- Campaign Manager, Clay Pell
Northeast Regional Director, Organizing for Action
Communications Director, Rhode Islanders United for Marriage
Winning Percentage: N/A
Driscoll has headed up successful grassroots efforts and served on the Obama for America campaign in two separate stints, as Rhode Island state director for the 2012 campaign and as a field organizer in 2008. Managing Pell's run for Governor marks Driscoll's first bid to win a statewide office campaign.
- 10 Questions Raimondo Has to Answer When Running for Gov of RI
- 10 Questions Taveras Has to Answer When Running for Gov of RI
- NEW: Brown Poll Says Raimondo Leads Taveras in Democratic Primary
- NEW: Caprio Splits with Raimondo on Hedge Funds
- NEW: Ken Block Criticizes Raimondo’s Agenda
- NEW: Raimondo Addresses Supporters Following Pension Investigation
- Raimondo Enters RI Governor’s Race via Video
- Russ Moore: Can Raimondo Out-Spin The Unions?
- Russell Moore: Raimondo vs. Taveras vs. Pell?
- State Pension Fund Pays $570,000 to Raimondo’s Former Firm
- The Scoop: Block Critiques Raimondo Over Lack of Transparency
- The Scoop: Cicilline’s Former Campaign Manager Joins Raimondo Team
- The Scoop: Clay Pell’s Cousin Donated $2,250 to Raimondo; More
- The Scoop: Dad of Taveras Spokesman Donated $3K to Raimondo; More
- The Scoop: Raimondo Set to Break Quarterly Fundraising Record
- The Scoop: Raimondo Tops Taveras by 250K, Brown Bankruptcy Forum
- Mayor Taveras: Please Take Care Of Providence’s Kids
- NEW: Sanchez Gets Agreement From Taveras to Avoid Pool Demolition
- NEW: Sanchez Says Taveras Threatened to Cement Pool Over Politics
- NEW: Taveras First to Sign Pledge to End 3rd Party Spending
- NEW: Taveras to Get Family Service of RI’s Brighter Futures Award
- NEW: Taveras’ Poll Shows Considerable Lead Over Raimondo
- Podcast: Unions Battle Taveras Over Development in Providence
- Russ Moore: Raimondo vs. Taveras = Clinton vs. Obama in RI
- Russell Moore: Christie, Taveras and Fung—Politicians Gone Wild
- NEW: Raimondo Failed to Comply with State Divestment Law
- NEW: Raimondo Launches Bid for Rhode Island Governor
- RI State Report: Big Bucks For Raimondo + Unionization Battle
- RI State Report: Block v. Raimondo, RI Goes Green + Gun Violence
- RI State Report: Surprise Raimondo Donors, Block Turns Republican